RHSS Message  Forum

Go Back   RHSS Message Forum > Odds & Ends > News Alerts
FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade User Pages Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2017, 08:39 PM   #1
nannyv
Sweep Fanatic
2/09 MOTM

nannyv has a reputation beyond reputenannyv has a reputation beyond reputenannyv has a reputation beyond reputenannyv has a reputation beyond reputenannyv has a reputation beyond reputenannyv has a reputation beyond reputenannyv has a reputation beyond reputenannyv has a reputation beyond reputenannyv has a reputation beyond reputenannyv has a reputation beyond reputenannyv has a reputation beyond repute
More K Mart Sears Closing

Well finally the KMart near me is on the closing list. Not a big surprise, but sad. Can remember when it first opened and was a nice store. They had high hopes and for years business good.

Over the years sections closed out, and got smaller and smaller. Well on the list for closing now.

http://wgntv.com/2017/01/04/full-lis...ose-by-spring/
Old 01-04-2017, 09:15 PM   #2
Snowbirdy
Sweep Fanatic
10/05 MOTM
6/09 MOTM
7/11 MOTM

Snowbirdy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowbirdy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowbirdy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowbirdy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowbirdy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowbirdy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowbirdy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowbirdy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowbirdy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowbirdy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowbirdy has a reputation beyond repute
I was sad when the K-Mart closed here, too. Over the years, it declined, and when the nice inside restaurant/snack area closed, it was only a matter of time. I used to buy nice flowers and plants there.

And now another Macy's is closing here.

I watched a report on TV that said the big stores will continue to close and go out of business, because people prefer to buy online and have items shipped right to their door.

No traffic/parking hassles, no crowds, rude store clerks, no exhaustion from carrying packages, etc. are some of the reasons they said people prefer to shop online now.

We'll be seeing a lot more stores closing in the future.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:37 PM   #3
nannyv
Sweep Fanatic
2/09 MOTM

nannyv has a reputation beyond reputenannyv has a reputation beyond reputenannyv has a reputation beyond reputenannyv has a reputation beyond reputenannyv has a reputation beyond reputenannyv has a reputation beyond reputenannyv has a reputation beyond reputenannyv has a reputation beyond reputenannyv has a reputation beyond reputenannyv has a reputation beyond reputenannyv has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbirdy
I was sad when the K-Mart closed here, too. Over the years, it declined, and when the nice inside restaurant/snack area closed, it was only a matter of time. I used to buy nice flowers and plants there.

And now another Macy's is closing here.

I watched a report on TV that said the big stores will continue to close and go out of business, because people prefer to buy online and have items shipped right to their door.

No traffic/parking hassles, no crowds, rude store clerks, no exhaustion from carrying packages, etc. are some of the reasons they said people prefer to shop online now.

We'll be seeing a lot more stores closing in the future.

Audrey, I just checked the closing list for Macy's. Right now don't see any for my area. But know the store not busy the few times been there. So guess we could be added to the list anytime. My store not real close for me.
But sad when so many gets out of work.
Old 01-05-2017, 01:58 PM   #4
toystory
Sweep Fanatic
8/05 MOTM
6/06 MOTM
4/10 MOTM
10/11 MOTM

toystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond repute
Lots of stores have closed around here too ~~~ But then we have tons more to chose from!

AND... Right now with a "dusting to inch" of snow predicted... I'll bet every store is out of bread and toilet paper

http://www.ccssinc.com
http://www.sudleyvalero.com/
http://www.its-annoying.com - new blog place for me to vent my frustrations!
toystory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 07:04 PM   #5
Snowbirdy
Sweep Fanatic
10/05 MOTM
6/09 MOTM
7/11 MOTM

Snowbirdy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowbirdy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowbirdy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowbirdy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowbirdy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowbirdy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowbirdy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowbirdy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowbirdy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowbirdy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowbirdy has a reputation beyond repute
Wow, they said on TV tonight Sears is selling its Craftsman Tool line to Stanley Tools, and more Sears stores will be closing soon.

I have Craftsman tools and tool boxes in my garage, and this is getting a little hard to believe. But Sears will probably go out of business within the next few years.

Old 01-06-2017, 05:21 AM   #6
d7dot
Mr. Starbucks

d7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond repute
Sad to see more people out of work, but this story has been repeated many times over the years. Sears failed to adapt to the changing marketplace. Just like Kodak did with digital cameras, and Xerox with copiers in the past.
Old 01-06-2017, 05:46 AM   #7
newday
Sweep Fanatic

newday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond repute
As one of the oldies I don't change with the times on everything. I research online and then go to the physical store to get it or order online. I want to see the quality before I buy. Disappointed with somethings ordered online. The picture looks better than what gets shipped. Some malls have closed or very few stores left open in them-often the dynamics of the surrounding community. The closest and ONLY Kmart has been 35-40 minutes away-so no business from me. Definitly scarey for those employed in these companies.
Old 01-06-2017, 06:07 AM   #8
d7dot
Mr. Starbucks

d7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond repute
I tend to agree, but not all of this news is related to online sales, a lot of it is the company dynamics - management has failed to keep a finger on the pulse as they say, and no longer produce or sell products that the consumers want or need. Where do you think Apple would be right now if they were still selling Apple II's or iPhone 1...
Old 01-07-2017, 01:09 PM   #9
toystory
Sweep Fanatic
8/05 MOTM
6/06 MOTM
4/10 MOTM
10/11 MOTM

toystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond repute
Sears really missed the mark -- as they were the AMAZON of the past. Their catalog had everything anyone could want; socks to houses.... and they just didn't keep up with the times... so I agree with Brad.

I mean lets face it, just in the last "few" years we have seen the demise of items we took for granted (home phones, phone booths, phone books -- no one even wants that HUGE lump of paper anymore). Many people I know do not know even how to cook as they buy it pre-made, and some don't even ever use their oven. And everything is becoming wireless - which simply still amazes me.

Heard that the next phase might take electricity from the wire to making your own and storing it as the technology advances, and the batteries improve! Part of that includes making the roof itself of a home as a collector/solar panel of sorts, so that every home would really be able to make their own power as their roof would always collecting and then storing, winter or summer from the sun.

Another thing: GPS -- that also has it's good and bad points. I like that someone can find me if I need finding -- but not if I don't But it really killed road maps now didn't it? Hubby said it was Bill Clinton when he was president who allowed GPS into the hands of the "regular" people (ie not military uses)... maybe that was something good that come from his presidency? We use it all the time to find our way around and it works and takes a bunch of stress off the driver and the navigator!

Now Amazon is talking making a platform 500ft up, and delivering packages by drones... sounds sci-fi, but we might live to see that too.

http://www.ccssinc.com
http://www.sudleyvalero.com/
http://www.its-annoying.com - new blog place for me to vent my frustrations!
toystory is offline   Reply With Quote
Click here to remove this ad
Old 01-11-2017, 08:17 AM   #10
Snowbirdy
Sweep Fanatic
10/05 MOTM
6/09 MOTM
7/11 MOTM

QUOTE: Now Amazon is talking making a platform 500ft up, and delivering packages by drones... sounds sci-fi, but we might live to see that too. QUOTE

It's really happening, as Amazon is already using drones in some parts of the country. And since I am totally snowbound again, having trouble even plunging through the snow to my mailbox, I hope the drones will be approved in this area!