FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade User Pages Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2012, 07:22 AM   #1
betty
Sweep Fanatic
Charter Member
8/04 MOTM
April Fool's 08 MOTM
2/10 MOTM

betty has a reputation beyond reputebetty has a reputation beyond reputebetty has a reputation beyond reputebetty has a reputation beyond reputebetty has a reputation beyond reputebetty has a reputation beyond reputebetty has a reputation beyond reputebetty has a reputation beyond reputebetty has a reputation beyond reputebetty has a reputation beyond reputebetty has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Cafe cups - As Seen On TV refillable Kcup 4/9.99

http://www.amazon.com/Cafe-Reusable-...pr_product_top

above link lets you see what the product looks like. CVS and a couple of our regional grocery stores all carry it for 9.99. There are 4 of these in each package - 2 red and 2 black cups and the reviews are unfairly negative. They do not fit all size Keurig machines - check the back of package for the list. Reviews complain they will not work on personal use B 30 size Keurig and in the products defense, the B30 is not listed as being compatible.

I overfilled the container w/coffee my first use which meant coffee was weak and I dumped out dry grounds in the bottom half. The water needs some room to work its way down thru all the grounds. My husband got some coffee in the seal area which meant his first try, there was back flow of wet grounds inside the Keurig. After some grumbling we learned from our mistakes and been very happy with repeated successes the last couple days. The hinge is still intact and the counter is much cleaner w/practice.

I went back and got a second set with my CVS bucks during their holiday enticement sales so these stocking stuffers did not cost me very much. And like most overpriced plastic stuff, they will probably show up in the dollar stores soon. My plan is to load up 8 of these w/ground coffee and keeping them in a tupperware container ready for easy use, which would save considerably on our expensive Kcup devotion.

The one piece container has a plastic creased hinge that you just know will eventually break off. Reviews say it will snap in place and works fine, you just need to learn not to throw lid away in trash when dumping the grounds.

It comes w/a scoop; only put in a level scoop of ground coffee. After use, you can see how the water pressure creates a well down into the grounds and all of the grounds are wet from use.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:33 AM   #2
betty
Sweep Fanatic
Charter Member
8/04 MOTM
April Fool's 08 MOTM
2/10 MOTM

betty has a reputation beyond reputebetty has a reputation beyond reputebetty has a reputation beyond reputebetty has a reputation beyond reputebetty has a reputation beyond reputebetty has a reputation beyond reputebetty has a reputation beyond reputebetty has a reputation beyond reputebetty has a reputation beyond reputebetty has a reputation beyond reputebetty has a reputation beyond repute
So - has anyone else tried refillables?

Has anyone upscaled their Keurig to the new Vue?
betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:08 AM   #3
d7dot
Mr. Starbucks

d7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond repute
No

and

No
Old 12-29-2012, 09:11 AM   #4
Snowbirdy
Sweep Fanatic
10/05 MOTM
6/09 MOTM
7/11 MOTM

Snowbirdy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowbirdy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowbirdy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowbirdy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowbirdy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowbirdy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowbirdy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowbirdy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowbirdy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowbirdy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowbirdy has a reputation beyond repute
Also no and no.

My (won) Keurig sits unused. I don't like the taste and smell of plastic in my coffee.

I'm using my favorite Gevalia 12 cup coffee maker, and I absolutely LOVE Gevalia gourmet flavored coffees. BradsDeals.com has terrific Gevalia sales listed occasionally, and I stock up. The last time, I got EIGHT boxes of Gevalia coffees for $20 shipped FREE.

My favorite Gevalia flavor is Raspberry Danish, and my entire house fills with the wonderful aroma.

Just my and honest opinion here.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:35 AM   #5
d7dot
Mr. Starbucks

d7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond repute
Audrey, have you ever used a Keurig and K-Cups? I get no plastic smell or taste when using ours. The cups are plastic containers, but again I don't sense that it comes through in the brew results. Your mileage may vary with any product and of course the choice is always up to the individual.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:42 AM   #6
betty
Sweep Fanatic
Charter Member
8/04 MOTM
April Fool's 08 MOTM
2/10 MOTM

Gevalia is excellent coffee! It would go wonderfully in these cafe cups.

Good point about the plastic. I've heard others mention worries about whether anything is leaching out of all those kcups into the coffee. The regular Kcups are very thin plastic that gets punctured top and bottom, while these little cafe cups have mesh sides and mesh bottom with a harder plastic top lid and a bit of framework to hold the mesh in shape. It's not quite the hard plastic of a regular 12 cup coffee pot where you sit the coffee filter, but it's definitely not the flimsy kcup stuff. Because the mesh opens the coffee to air, you need to preload the cafe cups and keep them in a container so the coffee stays fresh.

My fave is Barrista Italian Roast - and really, like Brad I've never tasted anything plastic with the kcups.
Click here to remove this ad
Old 12-29-2012, 11:12 AM   #7
Snowbirdy
Sweep Fanatic
10/05 MOTM
6/09 MOTM
7/11 MOTM

Snowbirdy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowbirdy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowbirdy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowbirdy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowbirdy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowbirdy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowbirdy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowbirdy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowbirdy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowbirdy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowbirdy has a reputation beyond repute
Yes, Brad, I used the Keurig and K-cups for a year or so. I just plain don't like them. Some people can smell and taste the boiling hot plastic, some don't.

Plus, I can make a whole pot of coffee for far less than the cost of just one K-cup. I like more than one cup of coffee in the morning and my Gevalia coffee maker keeps the coffee (and wonderful aroma) hot for as long as I like.

And "reloading" permanent K-cups would be a pain in the neck, IMHO.

To each his own, as the old saying goes. It boils down to being a personal, individual choice.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:30 PM   #8
Snowbirdy
Sweep Fanatic
10/05 MOTM
6/09 MOTM
7/11 MOTM

One more thing...

Online research brings up many, many discussions of Keurig users suffering upset stomachs, bloating, diarhea, and just not feeling well after drinking coffee made with their Keurig.

They investigated, and found out that many plastic parts--including the Keurig reservoir--are made in China and are not up to the best FDA standards. Many of them sent the Keurigs back and never got sick again.

I don't have allergies or health problems, but every single time I had coffee made with my Keurig, I suffered painful stomach problems for hours afterward, just like the other people in discussion groups did.

When I switched to my new Gevalia, with the glass carafe, I never had problems again.

Some of you have mentioned previously that you suffer from some of those symptoms. Just a heads up.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:24 PM   #9
betty
Sweep Fanatic
Charter Member
8/04 MOTM
April Fool's 08 MOTM
2/10 MOTM

The Keurig has a double pump thingie to move water around. Once you prime the machine with water, you can never literally drain the machine. There is always water between the two pumps and if you do not use the machine very often - the water in your coffee could of been sitting there for weeks even months.
How many rare users realize they should take the precaution of running a couple cleansing cups of water thru before actually making their coffee?

Most people assume if the water resevoir is empty, the machine is empty
Old 12-29-2012, 06:06 PM   #10
d7dot
Mr. Starbucks

Betty, my Keurig model has a De-Scale light that illuminates when it is dirty and I have used that on occasion. I also have run water through the machine without a K-Cup in place. Lastly I use only bottled water, not tap water. Since there are only two of us here and we prefer different flavors, even different brands from time to time, the K-Cups make sense for us. From purely an economical point of view, the K-Cups would not win the war for us, but the convenience does.. we do have far less waste than we did in the past because we never have to dispose of a half full (or half empty) carafe. anymore..
Old 12-29-2012, 07:44 PM   #11
betty
Sweep Fanatic
Charter Member
8/04 MOTM
April Fool's 08 MOTM
2/10 MOTM

I agree, the convenience of my choice of fresh coffee every time is worth a lot. Even with 3 drinking coffee, no one seems to want coffee within the same hour.
I won my first Keurig several years ago. It was giving me issues and I shifted to the new one and eventually got thru to Keurig technical folk. They talked me thru a bit of dismantling and the short story is, the old machine came back to life. Part of the cautioning from Keurig was to be sure to purge the machine since I had the water sitting in it for some weeks. Anyway, dh took the first Keurig in to his office and within a month it requested to be descaled. First time I had ever had the program come up requesting descaling on either of them. He says he used bottled water, but you gotta wonder.
I use Brita filtered tap water here in the house and the real issue has always been grounds backing up into the waterjets.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:56 PM   #12
d7dot
Mr. Starbucks

Betty, sometimes we switch off, particularly in colder weather, and make Swiss Miss. Those K-Cups seem to produce a thicker almost syrup like liquid, so I remove them right after brewing in the hopes that it will prevent gumming up the works. So far so good...
Old 12-29-2012, 08:38 PM   #13
Snowbirdy
Sweep Fanatic
10/05 MOTM
6/09 MOTM
7/11 MOTM

Interesting info, Betty and Brad. I'll keep all that in mind. If I ever win K-cups again, I might give the Keurig another try, since it would be free. No descale indicator ever came on during the year or so that I used it.

I did run plain water through it from time to time, as it said to do in the instruction booklet.

I keep all my coffee machines squeaky clean always, but I've never used bottled water in my life. Our "expensive" water in my suburb is supposed to be the best, so the City claims.

Anyway, I never drink water, just use it for cooking and coffee.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:23 PM   #14
betty
Sweep Fanatic
Charter Member
8/04 MOTM
April Fool's 08 MOTM
2/10 MOTM

I was asked by Keurig if we made cocoa with machine. They recommended not using cocoa Kcups as it is notorious at gumming up the water ports.
And the tea Kcups seemed such a waste of money - so much cheaper to buy the tea bags and just use the Keurig for hotwater. You can fill the CafeCup with loose tea, but the kcups are filled with more a powdery tea that does not need to steep.

Audrey - My tap water was fine with only the Brita filtering for 3, maybe 4 years. Tom's office is 20 miles towards New York and I suspect he got local water other than bottled. I didn't even know the Keurig would display a request to be descaled until Tom brought the old one home because after asking for a descaling finally stopped working again. After the descaling he is using bottled water and no problem. After not being in the office over the holidays and recent storms, he will run 2 or 3 cups of hot water thru the system to make sure his coffee is made out of fresh water.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:17 AM   #15
toystory
Sweep Fanatic
8/05 MOTM
6/06 MOTM
4/10 MOTM
10/11 MOTM

toystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond repute
Hubby loves the Keurig -- and I don't drink coffee.

Son #1 has a Keurig and the re-useable cup came with his. He gave it to us, hubby used it once, and likely in emergency would use it again, but like many men isn't going to refill it on a regular basis.... until HE doesn't want to pay for cups, can't get someone to buy them for him as a gift (ie this was on his Christmas list) -- etc. And I just am not doing it (I do so many other things that it's not going on my list to do for him).

He did say when it used it, well, it just wasn't the same. I think that was because he used a different coffee in there than he was used to in the cups!
He likes Folgers Black Silk the best so far.

http://www.ccssinc.com
http://www.sudleyvalero.com/
http://www.yesuwon.com
http://www.its-annoying.com - new blog place for me to vent my frustrations!
toystory is offline   Reply With Quote