FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade User Pages Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2013, 12:42 PM   #1
betty
Sweep Fanatic
Charter Member
8/04 MOTM
April Fool's 08 MOTM
2/10 MOTM

betty has a reputation beyond reputebetty has a reputation beyond reputebetty has a reputation beyond reputebetty has a reputation beyond reputebetty has a reputation beyond reputebetty has a reputation beyond reputebetty has a reputation beyond reputebetty has a reputation beyond reputebetty has a reputation beyond reputebetty has a reputation beyond reputebetty has a reputation beyond repute
Hunker down - we got a NorthEaster coming thru!

NYC could see a foot of snow, Boston is in serious trouble

Northern NJ should get a foot or more of snow most of which will fall tonight into Sat. After midnight the winds are supposed to get up to 60 mph and power outages are feared. The auto emergency phonecalls went out about 10am that we were to get off the roads, emergency travel only after noon. The freezing rain phase of this storm is not good. A lot of people opted to work from home, a lot of businesses are closing down at noon.

Stay warm, stay safe
Old 02-08-2013, 03:27 PM   #2
toystory
Sweep Fanatic
8/05 MOTM
6/06 MOTM
4/10 MOTM
10/11 MOTM

toystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond repute
Oh no....here it goes again for you! And my sister Ann, and so many others.

Hope you are "prepared" .... and that everyone stays safe and WARM!

Keep us in the loop!

http://www.ccssinc.com
http://www.sudleyvalero.com/
http://www.yesuwon.com
http://www.its-annoying.com - new blog place for me to vent my frustrations!
toystory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:40 PM   #3
betty
Sweep Fanatic
Charter Member
8/04 MOTM
April Fool's 08 MOTM
2/10 MOTM

betty has a reputation beyond reputebetty has a reputation beyond reputebetty has a reputation beyond reputebetty has a reputation beyond reputebetty has a reputation beyond reputebetty has a reputation beyond reputebetty has a reputation beyond reputebetty has a reputation beyond reputebetty has a reputation beyond reputebetty has a reputation beyond reputebetty has a reputation beyond repute
Ann should have less snow, and more rain. Snow showers or rain showers, when they predict so many inches an hour it ain't good. They are worried about the high tide and damaged shore protections.

It has been a light winter, so our area has loads of salt and the plow drivers are thrilled to get some overtime in. the budget actually has the money for a proper response to this storm.
betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Click here to remove this ad
Old 02-08-2013, 03:45 PM   #4
tmy56
Sweep Fanatic
4/04 MOTM
1/09 MOTM

tmy56 has a reputation beyond reputetmy56 has a reputation beyond reputetmy56 has a reputation beyond reputetmy56 has a reputation beyond reputetmy56 has a reputation beyond reputetmy56 has a reputation beyond reputetmy56 has a reputation beyond reputetmy56 has a reputation beyond reputetmy56 has a reputation beyond reputetmy56 has a reputation beyond reputetmy56 has a reputation beyond repute
It's a heavy snow here right now - we have probably had 4-5" so far today. It's supposed to change over to a dryer snow tonight.
Total by tomorrow is 8-12".
Old 02-08-2013, 04:09 PM   #5
toystory
Sweep Fanatic
8/05 MOTM
6/06 MOTM
4/10 MOTM
10/11 MOTM

toystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond repute
Betty,
Ann is in High Bridge, how far is that from where you are? NJ is only 150 miles long and 50 miles wide.....

Terry... Stay warm ~~

http://www.ccssinc.com
http://www.sudleyvalero.com/
http://www.yesuwon.com
http://www.its-annoying.com - new blog place for me to vent my frustrations!
toystory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:16 PM   #6
judygr64
Charter Member
Super Moderator
4/03 MOTM
05/11 MOTM

judygr64 has a reputation beyond reputejudygr64 has a reputation beyond reputejudygr64 has a reputation beyond reputejudygr64 has a reputation beyond reputejudygr64 has a reputation beyond reputejudygr64 has a reputation beyond reputejudygr64 has a reputation beyond reputejudygr64 has a reputation beyond reputejudygr64 has a reputation beyond reputejudygr64 has a reputation beyond reputejudygr64 has a reputation beyond repute
All of you stay warm and dry! Be safe.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:33 AM   #7
betty
Sweep Fanatic
Charter Member
8/04 MOTM
April Fool's 08 MOTM
2/10 MOTM

Very quiet out there - street is plowed and it looks like the promised foot of snow. they were worried about up to 100000 households losing power, and I found this news alert:

Quote:
Nearly 530,000 customers have lost power in nine northeastern states during the blizzard that is blanketing the region.

Over 300,000 of those outages hit Massachusetts alone.

tv stations are showing paid programming which is typical prenews stuff. The storm tracking special reports are over for my area.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:28 AM   #8
betty
Sweep Fanatic
Charter Member
8/04 MOTM
April Fool's 08 MOTM
2/10 MOTM

at 6 the regular news started. Do others find that reporters wildly exaggerate? After 3 hrs sleep, one on the road reporter admitted they were still at the motel. 'their truck was buried in snow', 'people were waking up to cars totally buried' and the drifts were '3 to 5 feet'.
yes the cars have 4 maybe 5 inches of snow on the roof which means the wind wasn't so bad, but that does not count as being 'buried'. and when she went over to show us one of the 'drifts' she stepped into it and exclaimed how it came all the way up to her knee! and yes, that was the same reporter who just said the drifts were 3 to 5 ft. They can't just say we got 12 or 14 inches of snow, it has to be dramatized or you might switch to the other channel.

We had a 'convenient' winter a few years back, when all the snowstorms came on the weekend. The kids didn't miss school and the plow schedule was more relaxed as the roads did not have to be open by commuting hours. The secondary roads take forever to get plowed when the schools are not in session.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:13 AM   #9
judygr64
Charter Member
Super Moderator
4/03 MOTM
05/11 MOTM

judygr64 has a reputation beyond reputejudygr64 has a reputation beyond reputejudygr64 has a reputation beyond reputejudygr64 has a reputation beyond reputejudygr64 has a reputation beyond reputejudygr64 has a reputation beyond reputejudygr64 has a reputation beyond reputejudygr64 has a reputation beyond reputejudygr64 has a reputation beyond reputejudygr64 has a reputation beyond reputejudygr64 has a reputation beyond repute
My sister-in-law (in CT) just sent a picture of her mailbox with the 4 foot pole about totally buried in snow. I'm listening to the weather channel right now and it appears that most roads in CT and MA are closed.

Stay safe!
Old 02-09-2013, 09:36 AM   #10
tmy56
Sweep Fanatic
4/04 MOTM
1/09 MOTM

tmy56 has a reputation beyond reputetmy56 has a reputation beyond reputetmy56 has a reputation beyond reputetmy56 has a reputation beyond reputetmy56 has a reputation beyond reputetmy56 has a reputation beyond reputetmy56 has a reputation beyond reputetmy56 has a reputation beyond reputetmy56 has a reputation beyond reputetmy56 has a reputation beyond reputetmy56 has a reputation beyond repute
I woke up to the neighbors' snowblowers. Rich went out & started shoveling but felt pain in his lower back - he is calling it a 'kink'. Right now he is icing it.

It looks like we got about a foot of snow, based on looking at our pool cover. I know we broke a record for yesterday with 9".

I know what you mean about the exaggerated reporting, Betty.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:57 AM   #11
Snowbirdy
Sweep Fanatic
10/05 MOTM
6/09 MOTM
7/11 MOTM

Snowbirdy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowbirdy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowbirdy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowbirdy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowbirdy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowbirdy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowbirdy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowbirdy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowbirdy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowbirdy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowbirdy has a reputation beyond repute
I know what you mean about exaggerated reporting. I watched CNN for awhile last night, and a reporter stood right in the middle of a street, halting a huge snowplow, then saying how good it was that the driver saw him/her, didn't kill him/her and cause the first fatality.

Couldn't tell by the squeaky voice and snowsuit whether the "reporter" was male or female...I'm not being mean.

Pure garbage "reporting."
Old 02-09-2013, 08:09 PM   #12
jalapenomama
Charter Member
10/02 MOTM
11/10 MOTM

jalapenomama has a reputation beyond reputejalapenomama has a reputation beyond reputejalapenomama has a reputation beyond reputejalapenomama has a reputation beyond reputejalapenomama has a reputation beyond reputejalapenomama has a reputation beyond reputejalapenomama has a reputation beyond reputejalapenomama has a reputation beyond reputejalapenomama has a reputation beyond reputejalapenomama has a reputation beyond reputejalapenomama has a reputation beyond repute
Here's St Cloud:
Sunday Snow. High near 33. Breezy, with a east northeast wind 15 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches possible.

Sunday Night Snow. Low around 24. Northeast wind 10 to 15 mph becoming northwest after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.

The wind will be a critical factor - drifting.
Hopefully we'll get a lighter version.
jalapenomama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:10 PM   #13
jalapenomama
Charter Member
10/02 MOTM
11/10 MOTM

jalapenomama has a reputation beyond reputejalapenomama has a reputation beyond reputejalapenomama has a reputation beyond reputejalapenomama has a reputation beyond reputejalapenomama has a reputation beyond reputejalapenomama has a reputation beyond reputejalapenomama has a reputation beyond reputejalapenomama has a reputation beyond reputejalapenomama has a reputation beyond reputejalapenomama has a reputation beyond reputejalapenomama has a reputation beyond repute
Oops I meant to add we're in a winter storm warning.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:15 PM   #14
Snowbirdy
Sweep Fanatic
10/05 MOTM
6/09 MOTM
7/11 MOTM

Snowbirdy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowbirdy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowbirdy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowbirdy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowbirdy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowbirdy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowbirdy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowbirdy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowbirdy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowbirdy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowbirdy has a reputation beyond repute
We are too, Barb. Six inches predicted starting tomorrow. People are stocking up on groceries and supplies around here--including me. We still have six inches of snow on the ground, so another six will snowbound me again. I can bearly climb the snowbank to my mailbox again. What a winter, sigh.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:24 PM   #15
jalapenomama
Charter Member
10/02 MOTM
11/10 MOTM

Hi Audrey I stopped at the store also.
Hard to say at this point if I'll get out tomorrow.