FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade User Pages Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2013, 07:02 AM   #1
betty
Sweep Fanatic
Charter Member
8/04 MOTM
April Fool's 08 MOTM
2/10 MOTM

betty has a reputation beyond reputebetty has a reputation beyond reputebetty has a reputation beyond reputebetty has a reputation beyond reputebetty has a reputation beyond reputebetty has a reputation beyond reputebetty has a reputation beyond reputebetty has a reputation beyond reputebetty has a reputation beyond reputebetty has a reputation beyond reputebetty has a reputation beyond repute
Pope Benedict is stepping down

announced just after 6am
His strength is no longer adequate and he is retiring effective 2/28. There is precedent for this, but you have to go back to 13th century. He is 85
Old 02-11-2013, 08:02 AM   #2
tmy56
Sweep Fanatic
4/04 MOTM
1/09 MOTM

tmy56 has a reputation beyond reputetmy56 has a reputation beyond reputetmy56 has a reputation beyond reputetmy56 has a reputation beyond reputetmy56 has a reputation beyond reputetmy56 has a reputation beyond reputetmy56 has a reputation beyond reputetmy56 has a reputation beyond reputetmy56 has a reputation beyond reputetmy56 has a reputation beyond reputetmy56 has a reputation beyond repute
I wonder if a succesor will be chosen by then.

Just heard on the news that they hope to have a succesor chosen by the end of March, and the Pope doesn't have a vote because he's over 80. He will continue to live in a residence in the Vatican.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:31 AM   #3
betty
Sweep Fanatic
Charter Member
8/04 MOTM
April Fool's 08 MOTM
2/10 MOTM

betty has a reputation beyond reputebetty has a reputation beyond reputebetty has a reputation beyond reputebetty has a reputation beyond reputebetty has a reputation beyond reputebetty has a reputation beyond reputebetty has a reputation beyond reputebetty has a reputation beyond reputebetty has a reputation beyond reputebetty has a reputation beyond reputebetty has a reputation beyond repute
I don't get the end of march prediction - they should have everyone in Rome and prepared to start the process 3/1. Since they have 2 weeks notice, each of the voters will be in Rome and ready to vote. They can't open the conclave until the seat is empty on 2/28. Can't imagine that there won't be a new pope installed by Easter.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:30 PM   #4
toystory
Sweep Fanatic
8/05 MOTM
6/06 MOTM
4/10 MOTM
10/11 MOTM

toystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond repute
This whole resigning thing --- I don't know. Isn't the Pope the closest to God in the Catholic Church? Resigning leaves a bad feeling with me, like he's giving up. Like ... ok Lord, I know you chose me to be the head of your church on earth, but I'm just too tired to do it anymore. Like God might have made a mistake.
Other Popes were sick, etc. at the end and stayed till their final day.
It's not like he'd have to do much.... I don't know - it bothers me.
Sorry, end of rant.
I was born a Catholic and I thank them for my strong belief in God, but they went overboard and made some of their own rules which I personally believe God never intended. And yes, cause someone asked me this yesterday - I was baptized twice!

http://www.ccssinc.com
http://www.sudleyvalero.com/
http://www.yesuwon.com
http://www.its-annoying.com - new blog place for me to vent my frustrations!
toystory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:56 PM   #5
betty
Sweep Fanatic
Charter Member
8/04 MOTM
April Fool's 08 MOTM
2/10 MOTM

Actually this decision is suppose to fall within his infallible proclamations. If he says it's time to step aside, there is provision for it and so be it. Takes tremendous strength to let go of such power.
He has access to the best medical care in the world, and who knows what his doctors told him. Alzheimers or some debilitating desease - He was told he couldn't fly but they didn't release why.
betty is offline   Reply With Quote