RHSS Message  Forum

Go Back   RHSS Message Forum > RHSS Get Togethers > 2005 Christmas/Holiday
FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade User Pages Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2006, 01:17 PM   #1
pippizan
Charter Member
1/03 MOTM
9/06 MOTM

pippizan has a reputation beyond reputepippizan has a reputation beyond reputepippizan has a reputation beyond reputepippizan has a reputation beyond reputepippizan has a reputation beyond reputepippizan has a reputation beyond reputepippizan has a reputation beyond reputepippizan has a reputation beyond reputepippizan has a reputation beyond reputepippizan has a reputation beyond reputepippizan has a reputation beyond repute
Smile A note of thanks

To Johannah and Jolene for doing the crad and gift exchange this year and a VERY belated thanks to Terry and Beth for doing it last year!

For the most part, both things went off without a hitch and everyone was most happy with what they rec'd in the exchanges, and for those who did contribute as they did to this, I personally thank you all very much.

The cards were great also.

Now for the hitch part...........

Unfortunately, we had a problem this year, as we did last year with the gift exchange.

It isn't fair to the volunteer who organizes this, it isn't fair to the person who you are to be a secret santa for.
If you cannot be sure you can participate as it is meant to be done, then pleaese, don't sign up for either thing.

If this is to be done again this year, there will have to be some guidelines made and followed.

For now, the only guideline I will say that will be required is that you must be green, a subscribed member, to be involved in either the card exchange or secret santa program.

A lot of things happened behind the scenes this year and last year and I am very much hoping that by installing some kind of a guide, that this won't happen this year.

Thanks again to all who joined in and made this another fun Holiday season at RHSS.
Old 01-03-2006, 01:38 PM   #2
12win
Sweep Fanatic
5/03 MOTM

12win has a reputation beyond repute12win has a reputation beyond repute12win has a reputation beyond repute12win has a reputation beyond repute12win has a reputation beyond repute12win has a reputation beyond repute12win has a reputation beyond repute12win has a reputation beyond repute12win has a reputation beyond repute12win has a reputation beyond repute12win has a reputation beyond repute
Can I make two suggestions?

1. A package confirmation number be required and sent to the person in charge of the giveaway (or a predetermined mod. or admin.) to end all questions as to whether or not a package was actually mailed. USPS tracking on mine was only .55.

2. If by some chance someone signs up and they don't deliver, penalize them for 3 months premium membership or six and give it to the person that they didn't send to so the person in charge of the swap won't feel obligated to send someone a gift when their Secret Santa does not.

And a Big Thanks to all of the organizers of these.
Old 01-03-2006, 01:55 PM   #3
pippizan
Charter Member
1/03 MOTM
9/06 MOTM

pippizan has a reputation beyond reputepippizan has a reputation beyond reputepippizan has a reputation beyond reputepippizan has a reputation beyond reputepippizan has a reputation beyond reputepippizan has a reputation beyond reputepippizan has a reputation beyond reputepippizan has a reputation beyond reputepippizan has a reputation beyond reputepippizan has a reputation beyond reputepippizan has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12win
Can I make two suggestions?

1. A package confirmation number be required and sent to the person in charge of the giveaway (or a predetermined mod. or admin.) to end all questions as to whether or not a package was actually mailed. USPS tracking on mine was only .55.

2. If by some chance someone signs up and they don't deliver, penalize them for 3 months premium membership or six and give it to the person that they didn't send to so the person in charge of the swap won't feel obligated to send someone a gift when their Secret Santa does not.

And a Big Thanks to all of the organizers of these.

Belinda, did you see my avatar?? I am so glad you made some suggestions! Why didn't I think of that?

Okay, any and all suggestions should be posted in this thread.

For suggestion #1, excellent idea. 55 cents is not a lot to spend for peace of mind. Besides, I am a firm believer of one thing, and this is not directed at anyone in particular, but if you are in that bad financial shape, then why are you spending money for an internet connection?
I have seen too many people on the internet say they can't afford to buy milk for their kids, yet they spend money for an internet connection that could be used to buy food instead.
Unless your internet is used to make some kind of income, and I don't mean by entering sweeps, then it should be gone for finanacial reasons.

Suggestion #2 is also a good one Belinda. Not sure just how much Linda will be involved in this, but I will definitely mention it to her.
Old 01-03-2006, 03:32 PM   #4
Snowbirdy
Sweep Fanatic
10/05 MOTM
6/09 MOTM
7/11 MOTM

Snowbirdy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowbirdy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowbirdy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowbirdy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowbirdy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowbirdy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowbirdy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowbirdy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowbirdy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowbirdy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowbirdy has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry to hear there were problems. I didn't sign up for either the gift or card exchange this year, and said frankly that my retirement budget does not allow for it.

To get to my point: I've seen this sort of sign-up thing cause hurt feelings many times in years past.

So, why have an "official" sign-up at all? Why not just let people who want to send gifts or cards to other members just privately pm them for their address?
Old 01-03-2006, 03:40 PM   #5
nascarandbeans
Sweep Fanatic
4/06 MOTM
1/08 MOTM

nascarandbeans has a brilliant futurenascarandbeans has a brilliant futurenascarandbeans has a brilliant futurenascarandbeans has a brilliant futurenascarandbeans has a brilliant futurenascarandbeans has a brilliant futurenascarandbeans has a brilliant futurenascarandbeans has a brilliant futurenascarandbeans has a brilliant futurenascarandbeans has a brilliant futurenascarandbeans has a brilliant future
aww thanks Pip.. but you make me blush.. i ought to be thanking you for helping keep me sane and going on this... I agree Belinda if this is done next year i think that a confirmation number is needed or something...
and i went and bought up a bunch of christmas cards today at 75 percent off.im good to go next year on the card exchange...
"Health" To Spare, And
"Friends" That Care.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:28 PM   #6
d7dot
Mr. Starbucks

d7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond repute
I am not sure that a financial penalty of a certain number of membership months is appropriate. In todays world things happen unexpectedly that could force someone to be unable to perform as promised. To then shorten their subscription would be adding insult to injury. But then again we are not talking big bucks either. It is a headscratcher for sure. I think it is an honor system and that should suffice for most folks here. Maybe after I sleep on it I can come back and offer some more positive suggestions.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:36 PM   #7
pippizan
Charter Member
1/03 MOTM
9/06 MOTM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbirdy
Sorry to hear there were problems. I didn't sign up for either the gift or card exchange this year, and said frankly that my retirement budget does not allow for it.

To get to my point: I've seen this sort of sign-up thing cause hurt feelings many times in years past.

So, why have an "official" sign-up at all? Why not just let people who want to send gifts or cards to other members just privately pm them for their address?

Not sure I can explain what I mean Audrey, about why we have folks sign up to join this, but it's kind of like having a large extended family.

When Dad was alive, there were a total of 10 kids, plus spouses or significant others to be included, so Marie would put all ther names in a hat and then let each one know who they had for the gift exchange.

It's the same principal here. Those who want to participate, let the organizer know.
Instead of 1 or 2 or 3 members getting everything, this gives others a chance to spread it around and in the process we all get to have some fun.

I don't know how else to explain it. Maybe someone else can do a better job of it than I can.

Gift exchanges have been around a long time and as long as people who want to be a part of it and do their part, it is fun.

It's the few that don't pull their own weight that make it a problem for the organizer, plus the person they are supposed to send a gift to, ends up getting left out.

This is where the organizer ends up gettinghurt because they feel bad that someone may get left out and need to get something for them too.

Happened last year, happened this year, and if I have anything to say about it at all it will NOT happen this year!

I know it bothered Beth, it drove Jolene nuts and both of them took me with them in the process!
It wasn't hurt feelings so much, it was anger. If you cannot afford it, don't sign up for it. It's really that simple.

Audrey, you know your financial limits so you didn't sign up. That's a smart thing to do for you.

I don't know the reasoning behind the folks who did cause the problems...sign up to get a gift, not give one in return and hope no one notices?
It doesn't work that way. That's why we have one person who does the organizing for these things. That's why a dollar limit is set. If people want to go over it, that is their choice.
It helps to keep people from getting hurt, as Jolene and Beth both know, if someone messes up, the organizer steps in to fill the void and the sad thing is, is that sometimes, these people cannot afford the time or the $$ to do that either.
Now, these people volunteer to do this and I am not about to see them suffer for someone else's thoughtlessness either, so it just snowballs till it stops with me or Judy.

I know it doesn't sound like it, but I HAVE gotten past my anger over this.

I just wanted to make a post, which I said I would. I'm glad Belinda started with making suggestions. I never thought of that (dummy me!! ) and I hope more people will post making some other suggestions of how to make this work 100% next holiday season.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:43 PM   #8
pippizan
Charter Member
1/03 MOTM
9/06 MOTM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d7dot
I am not sure that a financial penalty of a certain number of membership months is appropriate. In todays world things happen unexpectedly that could force someone to be unable to perform as promised. To then shorten their subscription would be adding insult to injury. But then again we are not talking big bucks either. It is a headscratcher for sure. I think it is an honor system and that should suffice for most folks here. Maybe after I sleep on it I can come back and offer some more positive suggestions.

Emergencies can always be taken into consideration and while being part of this each year is not among the great things you worry about when an emergency arises, I'd like to think if it is at all humanly possible, word could be gotten to someone here of a problem that exists.

I heard excuses Brad, from the offending parties both last year and this year and it wasn't because they couldn't get on to forum and send a message.
I'd rather not go into it anymore than that.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:52 PM   #9
beffers
Charter Member
1/05 MOTM
4/11 MOTM

beffers has a reputation beyond reputebeffers has a reputation beyond reputebeffers has a reputation beyond reputebeffers has a reputation beyond reputebeffers has a reputation beyond reputebeffers has a reputation beyond reputebeffers has a reputation beyond reputebeffers has a reputation beyond reputebeffers has a reputation beyond reputebeffers has a reputation beyond reputebeffers has a reputation beyond repute
on the usps tracking #, they really don't give out much info cept, in transit and delivered to destination. and to tell you the truth, it'd be more work and it would so take away from the whole feeling of the exchange. that's just my 2 cents.
i was so hoping my bad santa was gonna be the only occurance, i just cannot believe it happened again.
i have no ideas, i just wanted to say that about the usps tracking.
Click here to remove this ad
Old 01-03-2006, 08:17 PM   #10
CCMama
Sweep Fanatic
1/04 MOTM

CCMama has a reputation beyond reputeCCMama has a reputation beyond reputeCCMama has a reputation beyond reputeCCMama has a reputation beyond reputeCCMama has a reputation beyond reputeCCMama has a reputation beyond reputeCCMama has a reputation beyond reputeCCMama has a reputation beyond reputeCCMama has a reputation beyond reputeCCMama has a reputation beyond reputeCCMama has a reputation beyond repute
I hope anyone who gets involved this year follows thru to prevent all the problems that occurred this year and last.

I have no good suggestions as better minds than mine are already trying to work this out. I had a great time doing this and am looking forward to doing it again this year.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:48 PM   #11
d7dot
Mr. Starbucks

d7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond repute
Maybe -

All previous Bad Santas could be deemed to be ineligible to participate in future years. They could be put on a list that is kept private and known only to Linda and the Mods, there is little to be gained by advertising who they are.

Maybe -

We could establish a Contingency Fund, prior to the Christmas season, to be used if necessary and in the event that someone signs on as a Secret Santa and is then uable to perform as agreed. The fund would be created using member donations, via PayPal, and need only be a buck or 2 per person donating to generate enough funds to buy a couple of $10-15 gifts. Donors and benefactors would be anonoymous.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:52 PM   #12
linda
RHSS Webmistress
Administrator

linda has a reputation beyond reputelinda has a reputation beyond reputelinda has a reputation beyond reputelinda has a reputation beyond reputelinda has a reputation beyond reputelinda has a reputation beyond reputelinda has a reputation beyond reputelinda has a reputation beyond reputelinda has a reputation beyond reputelinda has a reputation beyond reputelinda has a reputation beyond repute
Johannah and Jolene, thank you for organizing (and putting up with the headaches!) the card and gift exchanges this year. I think you both did a great job!

As for trying to come up with guidelines and rules for next year, why don't we wait a little while on that. Afterall, it is another 12 months away.

On the subject of penalizing a member of their membership fees -- No one is going to have their memberships adjusted because of a promise that they don't keep during a member activity. While they may not do something they're supposed to do, it has nothing to do with their payment for services received from RHSS.

Read Daily | Star Bright | LCD Creations | Moms Attic
Click here to remove this ad
Old 01-03-2006, 09:33 PM   #13
RONDADOUG
Sweep Fanatic
6/04 MOTM
5/09 MOTM

RONDADOUG has a brilliant futureRONDADOUG has a brilliant futureRONDADOUG has a brilliant futureRONDADOUG has a brilliant futureRONDADOUG has a brilliant futureRONDADOUG has a brilliant futureRONDADOUG has a brilliant futureRONDADOUG has a brilliant futureRONDADOUG has a brilliant futureRONDADOUG has a brilliant futureRONDADOUG has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by d7dot
Maybe -

All previous Bad Santas could be deemed to be ineligible to participate in future years. They could be put on a list that is kept private and known only to Linda and the Mods, there is little to be gained by advertising who they are.

Maybe -

We could establish a Contingency Fund, prior to the Christmas season, to be used if necessary and in the event that someone signs on as a Secret Santa and is then uable to perform as agreed. The fund would be created using member donations, via PayPal, and need only be a buck or 2 per person donating to generate enough funds to buy a couple of $10-15 gifts. Donors and benefactors would be anonoymous.

I agree with Brad ....Although I can't imagine signing up for something and not following through on it. The exchanges were fun and I would like to see them continue. Thanks for going the extra mile to Jolene and Beth and Pip too.

Wishing for Peace on Earth for all
Old 01-03-2006, 10:15 PM   #14
tmy56
Sweep Fanatic
4/04 MOTM
1/09 MOTM

tmy56 has a reputation beyond reputetmy56 has a reputation beyond reputetmy56 has a reputation beyond reputetmy56 has a reputation beyond reputetmy56 has a reputation beyond reputetmy56 has a reputation beyond reputetmy56 has a reputation beyond reputetmy56 has a reputation beyond reputetmy56 has a reputation beyond reputetmy56 has a reputation beyond reputetmy56 has a reputation beyond repute
Yes, a big thank you to Johannah & Jolene - I know first-hand what's involved, and while it isn't diffficult, it takes time & there can be little glitches.

I'm assuming that some hardship happened between the time the person signed up to participate & the day the names were assigned. Perhaps, just before the names are assigned, we can be required to confirm to the organizer our ability/willingness to take part.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:28 PM   #15
pippizan
Charter Member
1/03 MOTM
9/06 MOTM

See? This is why I like to ask Linda things. And she does make a good point about the membership stuff.

Have mercy Linda, if this year goes as fast as last, it will be here before we even realize it!

Brad, no names will be made public, but at the same time, these same people will not be allowed to participate either, so that takes care of that.

Quote:

This may have some definite merit to it Brad.

It was fun tho wasn't it? And I need to go and soak that little Christmas tree thingy that turns into a washcloth that Ronda gave me, but I just think it is so cute, I can't stand the thought of putting it in the water to make it grow!!!