FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade User Pages Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2006, 12:22 AM   #16
betty
Sweep Fanatic
Charter Member
8/04 MOTM
April Fool's 08 MOTM
2/10 MOTM

betty has a reputation beyond reputebetty has a reputation beyond reputebetty has a reputation beyond reputebetty has a reputation beyond reputebetty has a reputation beyond reputebetty has a reputation beyond reputebetty has a reputation beyond reputebetty has a reputation beyond reputebetty has a reputation beyond reputebetty has a reputation beyond reputebetty has a reputation beyond repute
Amazing how easy feelings can be hurt with gifts.

My suggestion? I think we could go together and purchase Powerball tickets or even a variety of state tickets that are available. Who would you rather win a million or two or more with than forum members? We could cope with getting winning tickets cashed.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:51 AM   #17
pippizan
Charter Member
1/03 MOTM
9/06 MOTM

pippizan has a reputation beyond reputepippizan has a reputation beyond reputepippizan has a reputation beyond reputepippizan has a reputation beyond reputepippizan has a reputation beyond reputepippizan has a reputation beyond reputepippizan has a reputation beyond reputepippizan has a reputation beyond reputepippizan has a reputation beyond reputepippizan has a reputation beyond reputepippizan has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by betty

My suggestion? I think we could go together and purchase Powerball tickets or even a variety of state tickets that are available. Who would you rather win a million or two or more with than forum members? We could cope with getting winning tickets cashed.

Now for that, even I would be willing to travel.
The way would have to be dotted with bathrooms, but for a mil or 2, I could manage it.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:40 AM   #18
firedancer623
Sweep Fanatic
4/08 MOTM

firedancer623 has a brilliant futurefiredancer623 has a brilliant futurefiredancer623 has a brilliant futurefiredancer623 has a brilliant futurefiredancer623 has a brilliant futurefiredancer623 has a brilliant futurefiredancer623 has a brilliant futurefiredancer623 has a brilliant futurefiredancer623 has a brilliant futurefiredancer623 has a brilliant futurefiredancer623 has a brilliant future
I wanted to add that I truly appreciate everyone's efforts this year. I wish I could add some advice on how to perhaps make next year's exchange go more smoothly but lets just hope everyone that joins participates.

Thanks again to both of you for coordinating everything!!
Click here to remove this ad
Old 01-04-2006, 01:20 PM   #19
judygr64
Charter Member
Super Moderator
4/03 MOTM
05/11 MOTM

judygr64 has a reputation beyond reputejudygr64 has a reputation beyond reputejudygr64 has a reputation beyond reputejudygr64 has a reputation beyond reputejudygr64 has a reputation beyond reputejudygr64 has a reputation beyond reputejudygr64 has a reputation beyond reputejudygr64 has a reputation beyond reputejudygr64 has a reputation beyond reputejudygr64 has a reputation beyond reputejudygr64 has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks to everyone who participated in the card and gift exchange. It is really a lot of fun. I had fun shopping for and receiving my gifts. I also loved getting all the cards and sending them. And how sweet of those of you who also included goodies.

And thanks to Johannah and Jolene for their work this year and for Pip for all her mother hen activities too!

Have a wonderful new year all.
Old 01-04-2006, 02:52 PM   #20
daniela6968
Sweep Fanatic
11/07 MOTM

daniela6968 has a reputation beyond reputedaniela6968 has a reputation beyond reputedaniela6968 has a reputation beyond reputedaniela6968 has a reputation beyond reputedaniela6968 has a reputation beyond reputedaniela6968 has a reputation beyond reputedaniela6968 has a reputation beyond reputedaniela6968 has a reputation beyond reputedaniela6968 has a reputation beyond reputedaniela6968 has a reputation beyond reputedaniela6968 has a reputation beyond repute
I am going to out myself and admit that last year, my gift didn't go through. I had ordered it online through Target and pm'ed beffers with the delay in shipping. I think it wasn't going to go out til mid January. I apologized and was embarrassed. And by that time, financially, it was not an option to order from somewhere else. Then I received an email in early January that the item was no longer available. By that time, I was told that my secret santa also did not send anything. And Beffers told me that it was odd, that my SS and me were the only two who didn't follow through. So I just left it at that. I did go through with the card exchange. I would have loved to participate this Christmas, but was too embarrassed. So there's my story. Again, I'm sorry.
Old 01-04-2006, 04:15 PM   #21
beffers
Charter Member
1/05 MOTM
4/11 MOTM

beffers has a reputation beyond reputebeffers has a reputation beyond reputebeffers has a reputation beyond reputebeffers has a reputation beyond reputebeffers has a reputation beyond reputebeffers has a reputation beyond reputebeffers has a reputation beyond reputebeffers has a reputation beyond reputebeffers has a reputation beyond reputebeffers has a reputation beyond reputebeffers has a reputation beyond repute
daniela, it wasn't you. in fact i was unaware that you didn't get a gift.
you ss never even returned my frantic pm's.
i thought since i never heard from either of you, all went well, just after the holiday had pasted.
this was someone else entirely. you kept me informed that there was a delay, i totally was not refering to you, but it saddens me to know this, that means 3 people didn't get thier ss gifts last year. just so happens, you and a bad santa had each others names.
for the most part, i was delighted to be santa last year, i loved reading about all the goodies, but as the holiday got closer, and not everyone was posting getting a gift, i began to panic... sent pm's to those that should of gotten gifts, and was absolutely terrified that one outstanding member was gonna get stiffed. i hope that everyone understands, it's so much fun to do this, but a few bad apples....
Old 01-04-2006, 06:22 PM   #22
jenndiggy
Sweep Fanatic

jenndiggy has a reputation beyond reputejenndiggy has a reputation beyond reputejenndiggy has a reputation beyond reputejenndiggy has a reputation beyond reputejenndiggy has a reputation beyond reputejenndiggy has a reputation beyond reputejenndiggy has a reputation beyond reputejenndiggy has a reputation beyond reputejenndiggy has a reputation beyond reputejenndiggy has a reputation beyond reputejenndiggy has a reputation beyond repute
I have never really participated in swaps prioir to this year. I decided to this year because I had quite a few giftable items in my prize/present closet and I knew money was going to be tight for us and I wouldn't have much at Christmas. I bought a bunch of gloves on clearance last year that were originally $16 a pair. (They are very nice!), so those helped in my swaps!

I was on another board where we posted things we liked (usually small things, most of mine were under $1 or things that some people might even throw away, but I collect! LOL!) If we happened to have something that someone wanted, we PMed for their address and sent it. It was kind of neat to see what people collect. (Maybe we could do that as a "Christmas in July" kind of thing sometime?) Many people wanted things like "a postcard from your area" or even a favorite candy they can't buy in their area. It was fun getting surprises, and I was able to send people things I didn't want, but hated to throw away. (like a street map of London, and why I had it, I don't know, but someone wanted maps of all kinds!) I liked the idea of this but then again, some people received more than others. (Yet, I know that some people had easier to fill 'wish lists')

As for delivery confirmation, if you do electronic delivery confirmation through the usps.com site, it's free if you ship priority and 13 cents (soon to be 14 cents) if you ship first class or media.

Just a few comments from me.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:39 PM   #23
toystory
Sweep Fanatic
8/05 MOTM
6/06 MOTM
4/10 MOTM
10/11 MOTM

toystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond repute
Hi....I'm back

First, Jolene had a harder job that I did, and much more stress. So...kudo's to Jolene and then to PIP who helped every which way she could!!!

I got a bunch of Christmas cards on sale for next year --- and had more enjoyment out of those CRADS than I thought was possible. Just seeing them hung around on strings from the fireplace, the doorways, etc.... made it feel alot like Christmas again. In fact I am still thinking of keeping all of them to hang with next years!! I know, seems a little on the strange side, but maybe they'll be a tradition here somewhere eventually. I really didn't know how much I missed those darn crads!!

MY --
I really have a hard time thinking that someone joins something with
1) thoughts of getting and not giving;
or 2) to intentionally grab a gift,
or 3) with no intention of fulfilling their committment --- and it annoys me to no end.

Why? Because no one is forcing anyone to join up, sign up or get involved if for any reason they can't (don't have money, time, or can't exert the effort because of other things they must do). AND I am not saying emergencies don't happen --- we all know they do.

Really are we children or grown-ups here? Sadly we have some who act like children --- and there may never a way to fully 100% stop that.....

That having been said.....most here are NOT like that, there are some of the kindest and generous people here who would give their last cent to help another on this board.

Maybe.... we should allow a person to not only sign up ...but to "double" up. What I mean by that is that if you wanted/could afford to/had the prizes in your prize closet/and were willing to do it.... you could add that you would be willing to send 2 gifts out, should any issues arise where that would be necessary. This "sets-up" the help, if it's needed without stressing the organizer --- and on this front, I would say, 1st. to volunteer to double up would be the first asked if there was a need...NO ONE else need know, except the ultimate keeper of the "list" of those who cannot play anymore.

I like the list where those who have played a game with this, are not allowed to play again, and I like that you have to be green --- can I add that we do US ONLY -- as a person from overseas signed up because they wanted US cards -- and even if we sent them, I doubt they would have sent cards to all of us -- mainly because of the cost.

I's also like to have the choice of sending to any and all of our family's who in are in military tho....because that's domestic postage, and a day brightener that has more value than one could likely know.

OK.... that's it -- , no change!

http://www.ccssinc.com
http://www.sudleyvalero.com/
http://www.yesuwon.com
http://www.its-annoying.com - new blog place for me to vent my frustrations!
Old 01-04-2006, 08:50 PM   #24
d7dot
Mr. Starbucks

d7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond repute
The Double Up idea is a good idea, very similar to my Contingency Fund as to purpose, it seems like one of them would work - one way or another we should be able to head off similar problems next year. I am confident that we can do that.

The Santa and Crad Co-ordinators do not sign up to become referees, only to act as administers of the lists, enough time and energy is involved alone, without adding referee duties.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:06 PM   #25
nycitykid
Sweep Fanatic

nycitykid has a brilliant futurenycitykid has a brilliant futurenycitykid has a brilliant futurenycitykid has a brilliant futurenycitykid has a brilliant futurenycitykid has a brilliant futurenycitykid has a brilliant futurenycitykid has a brilliant futurenycitykid has a brilliant futurenycitykid has a brilliant futurenycitykid has a brilliant future
I'll make a suggestion that the suggested gift should be in the $10-$15 range. It would still allow members to spend a little more (or less). Many of us are spending at least $7-$10 to ship a package. It would seem appropriate that a gift be at least in the $10-$15 range, and it would likely allow all participants to receive a nicer gift. I don't know if the tracking system is necessary...I used a tracking number to ensure my peace of mind, but I'd hate to think that one or two people who were not fair would trigger a change of the rules for everyone. And thanks to Jolene and Johannah, Beth, & Terry for making the exchanges possible!
-Rich
Old 01-04-2006, 11:20 PM   #26
jenndiggy
Sweep Fanatic

jenndiggy has a reputation beyond reputejenndiggy has a reputation beyond reputejenndiggy has a reputation beyond reputejenndiggy has a reputation beyond reputejenndiggy has a reputation beyond reputejenndiggy has a reputation beyond reputejenndiggy has a reputation beyond reputejenndiggy has a reputation beyond reputejenndiggy has a reputation beyond reputejenndiggy has a reputation beyond reputejenndiggy has a reputation beyond repute
Another suggestion is I would like for people to have to fill out a little questionaire of things they might like. I only had one idea, and the only store I could buy it at is in the mall -- an hour each way -- and I still haven't been to the mall -- or that town since we did the exchange. I had another 'santa' I was buying for on another board who told me nothing. It's not easy trying to send things someone might like with no hints or suggestions. A questionaire would have been helpful if it included things like 'favorite candy', 'do you snail mail sweep', etc.

Really neither here nor there regarding the situation at hand, but is a suggestion for future use.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:56 AM   #27
betty
Sweep Fanatic
Charter Member
8/04 MOTM
April Fool's 08 MOTM
2/10 MOTM

betty has a reputation beyond reputebetty has a reputation beyond reputebetty has a reputation beyond reputebetty has a reputation beyond reputebetty has a reputation beyond reputebetty has a reputation beyond reputebetty has a reputation beyond reputebetty has a reputation beyond reputebetty has a reputation beyond reputebetty has a reputation beyond reputebetty has a reputation beyond repute
Johannah made a very nice comment about the card exchange - they reflect the friendship and community feel of the forum. Upping the gift value, tracking numbers, punishments for failure, questionaires to guide gift selection ... sorry, I know this sounds so bah humbug, but is this really worth it? This stretches so beyond the simple original gift exchange idea.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:34 AM   #28
d7dot
Mr. Starbucks

d7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by betty
Johannah made a very nice comment about the card exchange - they reflect the friendship and community feel of the forum. Upping the gift value, tracking numbers, punishments for failure, questionaires to guide gift selection ... sorry, I know this sounds so bah humbug, but is this really worth it? This stretches so beyond the simple original gift exchange idea.

I tend to agree Betty. Even among family and friends, each year some give, and some don't. And some give very little or acknowledge our gifts. We Smile, and move on to the the next season, content that we have done all that we can.

As many management courses teach us, some things are in our circle of control, some are not. Life is short, live it!!
Old 01-07-2006, 02:12 AM   #29
twinkiesmom
Sweep Fanatic

twinkiesmom is a glorious beacon of lighttwinkiesmom is a glorious beacon of lighttwinkiesmom is a glorious beacon of lighttwinkiesmom is a glorious beacon of lighttwinkiesmom is a glorious beacon of lighttwinkiesmom is a glorious beacon of light
Yes, the coordinators of both these events and Pip needs recognition . . . . Kudos to all 3! Johanna, Jolene and Pippy Pickles. lol You guys did good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pippizan

For now, the only guideline I will say that will be required is that you must be green, a subscribed member, to be involved in either the card exchange or secret santa program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d7dot
In todays world things happen unexpectedly that could force someone to be unable to perform as promised.
I got a giggle out of this sentence. You dont want to know what i was thinkin when I read it.

MAY YOU ALL EXPERIENCE MANY WINS IN 2007!!!
Old 01-07-2006, 03:54 PM   #30
toystory
Sweep Fanatic
8/05 MOTM
6/06 MOTM
4/10 MOTM
10/11 MOTM

toystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond repute
Well, I guess by hook or crook you are going to have to turn green before next year's exchange.....

Make sure you enter for one of the free subs as I am sure there will be some again this year!!

http://www.ccssinc.com
http://www.sudleyvalero.com/
http://www.yesuwon.com
http://www.its-annoying.com - new blog place for me to vent my frustrations!