RHSS Message  Forum

Go Back   RHSS Message Forum > Red Hot Sweeps (RHSS) > Comments About RHSS
FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade User Pages Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2007, 03:19 PM   #1
Ron_in_N_GA
The Sweepaholic

Ron_in_N_GA has a spectacular aura aboutRon_in_N_GA has a spectacular aura aboutRon_in_N_GA has a spectacular aura about
Why Have So Many RHSS Members Left?

I'm a new paid member of RHSS but a very veteran sweeper. Subscribe to several sweeps newsletters and am a member of numerous on-line sweeps groups.

Just setting the stage to say that means I've been around the block a few times with regard to seeing what the electronic sweeps world offers in terms of exchanging information with fellow sweepers.

So my question is not meant to ruffle any feathers, but I'm curious as to why so many past members of RHSS are no longer active and appear to have left this group.

Is there a primary reason why so many people chose to discontinue using the RHSS forums as a means of communications with fellow sweepers.

If you click on the Members List you will see page after page of member names who have not logged in at any point during 2007.

Maybe I'm not interpreting what I see correctly. But it looks like there are significantly less RHSS members (at least active ones) than I had originally thought.

Mind you. I'm not complaining, as I like what I've seen so far.

Just curious as to why others didn't feel there was a benefit in continuing to be a RHSS member.

Approximately how many RHSS members exist today, based upon paid subscriptions?

Thanks in advance for your responses.
Ron_in_N_GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 03:41 PM   #2
d7dot
Mr. Starbucks

d7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond repute
Ron, my guess is a portion of them simply lost interest in sweeping, or objected to the required fee for membership. Others probably left for personal reasons, there could be many reasons I suppose.

BTW, the fee was not always so, but as I am sure you know, it costs money to run a web site these days. Can't tell you how many of us are remaining tho...
Old 08-25-2007, 03:51 PM   #3
toystory
Sweep Fanatic
8/05 MOTM
6/06 MOTM
4/10 MOTM
10/11 MOTM

toystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond reputetoystory has a reputation beyond repute
Ron,
I cannot fully answer your question --- however I can say that we have rules here about behavior that many other people do not like. Some have moved on because of those rules ~~ which are taken VERY seriously.

This site is designed to be a kind and gentle place where we make "friendships" --- as well as sharing our sweep info with one another.

When I arrived here in about 2001 ~~ this site was very friendly but it was in a totally different format, and free.

Circumstances caused that to have to change, and many people who were used to a RHSS being a free site, left because they couldn't afford, or didn't want to pay for a sweepstakes site when this became unavoidable. ~~~
And when it looked like the site would have to close, many of us strongly encouraged the owners to keep this site open for us.

Those of us who stayed, really enjoy the fellowship of other sweepers who really feel more like family ~~ who help each other, offer sincere words of advice and support ---and who enjoy having a place to chat online and get new sweepstakes too.

For me, I haven't really been a part of any other site like this one. And altho I do "belong" to several other sites, I rarely if ever participate in other sites. It isn't because there aren't great people there too --- it's because there are either too many people there, or what seems like endless arguments, bickering, or other stuff going on...which I prefer not to personally be a party to ~~ or get involved in.

As for some of the people who left ~~ we miss them more than they will likely ever know....but times are what they are, and not everyone can afford to be a member of more than one site -- so each must chose for themselves where they will spend their time in this hobby, and if they will pay for that or not (Since there are plenty of sites that are free out there still).

Getting to know a bit about all of the "participating" members of RHSS has meant quite alot to me and I consider all of them friends. Friends who I sincerely care about, pray for, and would help in any way I could. You just don't find that at other sites, paid or unpaid.

http://www.ccssinc.com
http://www.sudleyvalero.com/
http://www.yesuwon.com
http://www.its-annoying.com - new blog place for me to vent my frustrations!
toystory is offline   Reply With Quote
Click here to remove this ad
Old 08-25-2007, 04:43 PM   #4
peppersalt
Sweep Fanatic
7/06 MOTM
8/10 MOTM

peppersalt has a reputation beyond reputepeppersalt has a reputation beyond reputepeppersalt has a reputation beyond reputepeppersalt has a reputation beyond reputepeppersalt has a reputation beyond reputepeppersalt has a reputation beyond reputepeppersalt has a reputation beyond reputepeppersalt has a reputation beyond reputepeppersalt has a reputation beyond reputepeppersalt has a reputation beyond reputepeppersalt has a reputation beyond repute
RHSS is like home to me. I do not know how many have left or how many new members we have. I enjoy the site and all the friends.
peppersalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 05:07 PM   #5
d7dot
Mr. Starbucks

d7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond reputed7dot has a reputation beyond repute
I think that, over time, you will come to find that this place is not a sweeps site. It is a bold imposter, it is really a water cooler where old friends gather, and an incubator for making new friends. We may be a wierd lot, but we feel for each other, well beyond the norm. Not exactly sure how to put that in more simple terms Ron.
Old 08-25-2007, 05:21 PM   #6
pippizan
Charter Member
1/03 MOTM
9/06 MOTM

pippizan has a reputation beyond reputepippizan has a reputation beyond reputepippizan has a reputation beyond reputepippizan has a reputation beyond reputepippizan has a reputation beyond reputepippizan has a reputation beyond reputepippizan has a reputation beyond reputepippizan has a reputation beyond reputepippizan has a reputation beyond reputepippizan has a reputation beyond reputepippizan has a reputation beyond repute
Ron let me say that perhaps when I was a moderator here and it was towards the end, just before I quit, that I flipped out. No real nice way to put it.

Perhaps in my zeal to protect the site and keep things in order, I managed to alienate some members who might have otherwise stayed.

I know when the site first announced they would become a pay site, there were folks who said they would leave because there were too many other sites where they could get the same info for free and preferred to do that rather than pay.

Others, like Brad said, let sweeping go by the wayside or had personal reasons.

Quote:
For me, I haven't really been a part of any other site like this one. And altho I do "belong" to several other sites, I rarely if ever participate in other sites. It isn't because there aren't great people there too --- it's because there are either too many people there, or what seems like endless arguments, bickering, or other stuff going on...which I prefer not to personally be a party to ~~ or get involved in.

I think Johannah's post says a lot too. We don't have thousands of members, but we don't have the problems that can happen at those other sites, paid public boards or paid private boards. Who needs it anyway, right?

Quote:
I think that, over time, you will come to find that this place is not a sweeps site. It is a bold imposter, it is really a water cooler where old friends gather, and an incubator for making new friends. We may be a wierd lot, but we feel for each other, well beyond the norm. Not exactly sure how to put that in more simple terms Ron.

I like Brads description the best.

Besides, we really have two of the most prolific posters here in cmaxwell (Cindy, also know as Who!!) and toystory (Johannah)

Along with everyone else who posts sweeps too, what more could you ask for!
pippizan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 06:05 PM   #7
judygr64
Charter Member
Super Moderator
4/03 MOTM
05/11 MOTM

judygr64 has a reputation beyond reputejudygr64 has a reputation beyond reputejudygr64 has a reputation beyond reputejudygr64 has a reputation beyond reputejudygr64 has a reputation beyond reputejudygr64 has a reputation beyond reputejudygr64 has a reputation beyond reputejudygr64 has a reputation beyond reputejudygr64 has a reputation beyond reputejudygr64 has a reputation beyond reputejudygr64 has a reputation beyond repute
There have been some terrific answers to your question, Ron. I think they really capture the spirit of the place.

As you know, since you are an experienced sweeper, there are other sites. Some cater more to snail mail sweepers than this does, and I know I've seen you post on one of those forums...I post there now and then as "Judy in Arizona".

There is a huge other site that is a big online sweeping site. Some people love their format...I'm not one of them. I like the small friendly atmosphere here. But Johannah is right. We don't tolerate rude behavior, we don't tolerate cheating, etc. And we get to know one another. Although there are long time members here who rarely ever post.

The owners of this site are Linda and her son Chris and they have always made this a very nice welcoming place to be.

Many of us have hung around here for quite a while. I do miss those who have moved on. Sometimes they show back up. And some sign up or signed up in the past just to check it out and then move on immediately so you'll see them on the members list, but they were never active members.
Old 08-25-2007, 06:56 PM   #8
judygr64
Charter Member
Super Moderator
4/03 MOTM
05/11 MOTM

judygr64 has a reputation beyond reputejudygr64 has a reputation beyond reputejudygr64 has a reputation beyond reputejudygr64 has a reputation beyond reputejudygr64 has a reputation beyond reputejudygr64 has a reputation beyond reputejudygr64 has a reputation beyond reputejudygr64 has a reputation beyond reputejudygr64 has a reputation beyond reputejudygr64 has a reputation beyond reputejudygr64 has a reputation beyond repute
In my previous post I don't want to imply that there are only 2 other sites. There are quite a few. In my mind, this is absolutely the best for a number of reasons.

It is true that some people have only so much money to spend and when there was a fee initiated they had to move on.
Old 08-25-2007, 08:53 PM   #9
beachmomnc
Sweep Fanatic
8/06 MOTM

beachmomnc has a brilliant futurebeachmomnc has a brilliant futurebeachmomnc has a brilliant futurebeachmomnc has a brilliant futurebeachmomnc has a brilliant futurebeachmomnc has a brilliant futurebeachmomnc has a brilliant futurebeachmomnc has a brilliant futurebeachmomnc has a brilliant futurebeachmomnc has a brilliant futurebeachmomnc has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by d7dot

This truly says it all. I also "belong" (pay) for membership in other sweeps sites but never participate in the forums...this site is a true friendship forum where the sweepstakes are an added bonus (thanks to all the hard-working folks who seek them out for us) .

The rules and sense of friendship and caring make this site a very special place. This is a site where I feel I belong and not just pay to join. So welcome and I hope you enjoy the special bond that this site offers. And I also hope you have many wins.

Far be it for me to explain why a woman's hand should fit the lawnmower but a man's hand cannot fit the vacuum!

I'll enjoy running the vacuum when I can ride on it!!!
beachmomnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 10:48 PM   #10
cmaxwell
Sweep Fanatic
Miss Sharpie 500
Mad Poster
11/03 MOTM
7/05 MOTM
10/07 MOTM

cmaxwell has a reputation beyond reputecmaxwell has a reputation beyond reputecmaxwell has a reputation beyond reputecmaxwell has a reputation beyond reputecmaxwell has a reputation beyond reputecmaxwell has a reputation beyond reputecmaxwell has a reputation beyond reputecmaxwell has a reputation beyond reputecmaxwell has a reputation beyond reputecmaxwell has a reputation beyond reputecmaxwell has a reputation beyond repute
Ron, you have a knack for asking good questions and making good points, and I'm glad you are jumping in and asking for feedback.

I must agree with the others, this is our little online family, and I could no more ditch it than I could my family or close friends. At times I've been a lurker, a semi-active member, or the mad poster, and at any given time my status could change, but I am staying here at RHSS as long as it exists, God willing.

I think that a lot of the nonpaying members signed up just to see what the site was about. They could have stumbled across the site while searching for something, they may have heard about it from a friend or family member, or saw a reference to it on another website.

I have to wonder if some people might be more likely to take a paid membership if they had some access to the actual "nuts and bolts" of a sweepstakes site. With the new registration rules Linda put in place, perhaps that is something she & Chris might be able to consider...Maybe free access to all forums for anywhere from an hour to 24 hours as long as the user has an ISP provided email address.

I know if I stumbled across this site (or ANY other) by accident that required me to register and give out some personal info, I would stop and think about it for hours, days or maybe even bookmark it and look at it again in a week or a month. If it required me to pay a fee to access the unknown....it would likely be the last time I visited the site. I know I'm VERY lucky to have found RHSS when it was a free site, as if it had been a paid site when I found it, I would just be an occassional roamer checking out the free sections of the site.

Linda and Chris, I hope you don't take my comments as hurtful, that is not my intentions. I'm just speaking about how I deal with these things.

Pip gave a nod to me and Johannah for posting sweeps. It is my pleasure to search and share, and even more so since I no longer work (gotta do something with that free time )

I'd like to add katydid (Karen) and justravlin (Lin) to the list of those that go out of their way to share sweeps, etc... with us all
Old 08-25-2007, 11:00 PM   #11
mstaken00
Charter Member
2/05 MOTM
2/08 MOTM

mstaken00 has a reputation beyond reputemstaken00 has a reputation beyond reputemstaken00 has a reputation beyond reputemstaken00 has a reputation beyond reputemstaken00 has a reputation beyond reputemstaken00 has a reputation beyond reputemstaken00 has a reputation beyond reputemstaken00 has a reputation beyond reputemstaken00 has a reputation beyond reputemstaken00 has a reputation beyond reputemstaken00 has a reputation beyond repute
Ron,
I don't know what to add to this post. Let me say....I love RHSS!! My friends here have helped me when my dear mother was hospitalized with a broken hip. Encouragement and prayers went out to us. She recovered but then she was diagnosed with cancer. I had a place to come and tell my friends how scared I was. Mom passed and I was crushed. RHSS helped me heal the hole in my heart.

I am one of the original members....I say it with pride. I will be here until the lights go out. It is where my family hangs out. I am a member on another board but it is not my home.

So.....Welcome to our family!! You know what they say...."You can choose your friends but not your family".
Old 08-25-2007, 11:17 PM   #12
loveto win
Sweep Fanatic

loveto win has a reputation beyond reputeloveto win has a reputation beyond reputeloveto win has a reputation beyond reputeloveto win has a reputation beyond reputeloveto win has a reputation beyond reputeloveto win has a reputation beyond reputeloveto win has a reputation beyond reputeloveto win has a reputation beyond reputeloveto win has a reputation beyond reputeloveto win has a reputation beyond reputeloveto win has a reputation beyond repute
I'm one of the posters, who doesn't get to post as much as I would like. But I read the posts of others, interestingly enuf--at least to me. If I'm short on time, I go to the winners forum, the sweepers chit chat forum, and the general discussion forum before I go to the contest pages. That's because the people and the spirit here are more important to me than the contests--though winning is very nice.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:40 PM   #13
newday
Sweep Fanatic

newday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond repute
I think Brad's water cooler explanation says it just fine for me. LOVE TOO WIN does what I do. I tried other sites also but didn't like the formats or the advertising flashing at me while I tried to read the listings. I don't have the time to search for new sweeps so I use what others have found. I think there is a thrill in searching. Thanks to all who find these for me. Keep hunting. I don't enter many so I don't win often, therefore not much to write home about. Still looking for a contest giving away a (handy)man!
Old 08-26-2007, 07:05 PM   #14
gmp59
Sweep Fanatic
Charter Member
12/07 MOTM

gmp59 has a reputation beyond reputegmp59 has a reputation beyond reputegmp59 has a reputation beyond reputegmp59 has a reputation beyond reputegmp59 has a reputation beyond reputegmp59 has a reputation beyond reputegmp59 has a reputation beyond reputegmp59 has a reputation beyond reputegmp59 has a reputation beyond reputegmp59 has a reputation beyond reputegmp59 has a reputation beyond repute
I have to agree with everyones comments.
RHSS is the best forum I have ever been too. I like
others have visited and became a member to that are free
I have not been back to any of them since joining for one reason
or another. When RHSS first announced that they were becoming a
paid site I wondered how I would afford to do it every year
but I find a way. These people here are part of my family, you could
not find a nicer group of people who are caring, thoughtful, friendly and fun.
I may not post alot but I check in every single day and read different post and check out the contest listing and just see what is going on. I really enjoy our holiday card and gift exchange and I am always thinking of my extended family here.
I hope you have the same experience here that I know we all share here.
Sincerely
Gina
Old 08-26-2007, 07:50 PM   #15
beffers
Charter Member
1/05 MOTM
4/11 MOTM

beffers has a reputation beyond reputebeffers has a reputation beyond reputebeffers has a reputation beyond reputebeffers has a reputation beyond reputebeffers has a reputation beyond reputebeffers has a reputation beyond reputebeffers has a reputation beyond reputebeffers has a reputation beyond reputebeffers has a reputation beyond reputebeffers has a reputation beyond reputebeffers has a reputation beyond repute
gee, you guys made me cry. totally, different reasons people have left. who could ever know? but it's those that stay that make this a magical place where people across the internet can make ironclad friendships. i have been here from the get go, and cannot explain to you how much i've enjoyed the laughs, sweeps and just good comunication that goes on here.
beffers is offline   Reply With Quote